Last week was the second week of my non-resolution life changes. It didn’t go so well, unfortunately. Week one may have ended with me pooping my pants, but week two was a disaster almost all the way through. Pooping my pants counts as a win considering how badly things went last week. Yikes.
But, all is not lost. I’m back on track this morning and doing pretty well. I made some incredible soup yesterday and more of my veggie rice. I have veggie juice and fruit to snack on today, and veggies ready for roasting tonight for dinner. There’s nothing standing in my way. Well, almost nothing.
(Interesting sidenote. If you ever make a soup with three heads of roasted garlic, open all the windows in your house before cooking your garlic. Everything in my house stinks now. Even my gym clothes were funkier than usual this morning. The smell is outrageous. Open your windows, garlic roasters!)
• Work out or walk the dogs every day (preferably both). This is the one item I’ve been doing really well with. I’m great at exercising. I’ll celebrate this as a major win…even though I missed two days last week.
• Make a hot dinner every night. This is another win for me. Ben made dinner once last week, but I’m doing really well with this. I’ve been managing to throw something together, even if it’s super simple.
• Do my physical therapy. Another win for me! I’ve been great about doing my foot stretches at least once a day. I’ve also been wearing my night splint most nights. Sometimes I rip it off in the middle of the night (the damn thing is super irritating), but I’ve made it the whole night several times. I count just putting it on as a win. My feet seem to be feeling a little better.
• Meditate daily. I’m going to try to incorporate this into my workday. I’m alone over the lunch hour and it would be a nice break for me to have a bit of calm. It would also leave me more free time outside of work, which is really tough to come by these days.
• Limit tv. This isn’t too difficult during the week, but it’s almost impossible on the weekends. I like to be lazy on the weekends and part of that is watching a few hours of mindless tv. This weekend I got caught up on American Horror Story and Dracula. I’m amending this goal to be for weeknights only.
• Be a vegan, but not an asshole. I didn’t do well this week. I cheated a lot and it was pretty ugly. I was depressed, hormonal, and not sleeping, the combination of which left me craving cheese, Cheetos, and a Blizzard. It was brutal. I feel horrible about it. Gotta do better this week. More vegan, less asshole.
• Keep a mindful eating journal. I hate food journals, but I notice I do great at keeping one if I’m eating healthy food. If I’m stuffing my face with Baked Cheetos, I’m less inclined to keep a journal of it. So, last week, my journal was seriously lacking. I’m pondering the future of this goal. Food journals make me feel overburdened.
• Do a little bit of yoga daily. My crankiness last week spilled beyond my diet, unfortunately. Even the suggestion of yoga made me cranky. I had a bad attitude about everything last week. Not good.
So, I’m moving forward. Neil Young told me “Don’t let it bring you down” and, damnit, I’m gonna listen. Moving on starts now!