It’s amazing how much has changed in the last year. Our tiny tater tot is a little boy, and it’s all so wonderful, terryfing, and sad. I don’t know how it’s gone so fast. I miss my tiny baby in the same breath as I’m excited about the little boy he is now. I wish there was a way to exist in all moments at once so nothing feels like a loss.
Things I Want to Remember Always
- When Harry gets caught doing something he knows he isn’t supposed to do (like pulling Dougal’s hair), he drops his head onto his chest immediately, waits several seconds, then slowly lifts his head until he can just see my face. He has a perfect Cheshire Cat smile on his adorable face! If I’m still scowling, he drops his head back down and tries again a few seconds later. It’s off-the-charts adorable. It takes all my self-control to keep scowling.
- While Harry is learning more and more words, Ben and I have been calling him Chipmunk because his preferred mode of communication right now is pointing and barking at us like a chipmunk. It’s mostly adorable but sometimes annoying.
- Harry is the most affectionate little boy. He loves hugs and kisses, but he likes them to be total surprises. Yesterday at the pumpkin patch, we were walking back to the car. I picked him up to carry him across the street. While I was looking for cars, he smooched me right on the lips! It was the absolute best. Made my day, my week, my whole life!
New Words Harry has been mimicking most everything I say, so his new words include woah, wow, uh-oh, nuh-uh, do not, and howling like a wolf. He’s also added elephant, balloon, sandwich, and banana. His all-time favorite is cheese. This kid loves cheese. He says it like a chant around 10 a.m. every day, which is DCT (Designated Cheese Time).
Smart Boy He knows his letters through H and his numbers through 9. He also knows that his favorite black dog is named Zorro. Even when the library book says a pug’s name is Zorro, that’s not how it will be read in our house. The black dog in the book is Zorro. The pug can have another name. Harry knows Zorro is a giant schnauzer in Illinois.
- Throwing rocks
- Picking tomatoes
- Feeding green tomatoes to Doogie and Grace
- Fruit of all kinds
- Books (he reads so much!)
- Basketball hoops
- Poncho the neighborhood Chihuahua
- Cat the neighborhood cat
- Making chicken sounds
- Running everywhere
- Smelling flowers
- Not playing basketball all day long (his only tantrums are when I make him come inside for dinner – he loses his mind)
- Homemade tomato soup
- Diaper changes
- Homemade enchiladas
- Sitting on the potty