Today is Monday. I smelled it creeping in at about 7 last night and went into a panic. How is it Mondays always show up at the worst times? Just when Sunday evening gets relaxed and snuggly…Monday pops in and makes my colon seize up. Damn that stinking Monday.
But, Monday songs are okay, right? My favorite is this one, “Long Monday” by John Prine. This live version kicks mega-ass, and eases the pain of another Monday that came way too soon.
Best line: “It’s gonna be a long Monday, sittin’ all alone on a mountain by a river that has no end. It’s gonna be a long Monday, stuck like the tick of a clock that’s come unwound – again and again.”
To be honest, sitting alone on a mountain by a river that has no end sounds like a pretty great Monday. But, okay, John.
If John Prine isn’t your Monday bag, here are some links to other Monday songs. I consider it my public service for the week. Which is your favorite? Are there any I missed?
• Monday, Monday, The Mamas & The Papas
• Rainy Days and Mondays, The Carpenters
• Come Monday, Jimmy Buffet
• Manic Monday, The Bangles
• Blue Monday, Fats Domino
• I Don’t Like Mondays, Boomtown Rats
My Almost-Number-One Monday Song is “Come Monday” by Jimmy Buffet. Isn’t old Jimmy Buffet adorable? I can see why people follow him all over. I want to wear Hush Puppies and a parrot shirt, and rid my life of pants.
On this particular Monday…
• I’m panicking about a work project I put off far too long. I have to read a section of a terrible book and, with a partner, lead a discussion of it with my leadership group Friday. The book is terrible. A rich guy is sharing his secrets to success, which all seem possible only because he’s so damn rich. I’m not inspired. I want to get all French Revolution-y on his spoiled ass. Liberte! Egalite! Fraternite! Take this book and shove it!
• I’m looking forward to my food today. Breakfast was a fruit smoothie and, waiting for me throughout the day, is a peanut butter and jelly sandwich on gluten-free bread, a lovely salad with delicious homemade dressing, and a bowl of veggie sticks with olives. It’s a Vegan Monday!
Look ahead…Day Seven: A Song For Karaoke